Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Must Have Unit : Assault Terminators



What is your must have unit in your army? The one unit you always find a way to squeeze into your army, regardless of how well it does or how points effective it may or may not be?

For me, that is a unit of 5 Assault Terminators with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields. For only 200 points you get 5 Terminators, giving you a 2+ armor save and 3+ invulnerable save. Then you give them a strength 8 power weapon that if wounds forces the wounded unit to go last next combat.

In smaller games they can deep strike and/or foot slog and be survivable, or transport them in a Land Raider in a bigger game (not factored into cost to worth ratio... you will probably have a Land Raider at higher levels because they are awesome as well).

They are the perfect retinue for your HQ slot, in terminator or not. I usually run a Terminator Librarian lately, but in large games or Planetstrike I have been known to run Marneus Calgar. I don't always run them with the HQ, but if anyone goes well to soak up armor saves and inlunerable saves off your HQ it is this unit.

Hard to kill, hard to survive against, less points than a Tactical Squad with a transport. Win.

6 comments:

  1. I use a similar setup with my Black Templars which has an advantage over generic marines. I give them the vet skill furious charge and when combined with the Emperor's Champion vow I get this: 5 assault terminators going at I5 on the charge re-rolling failed hits and wounds, with the wounds going at S5. Add in a land raider and the black templar trick of it not getting destroyed turn one no matter what hits it, and my terminators are hitting you 100%. I actually DONT want GW to redo the templar codex for this and other reasons like power of the machine spirit, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My must have unit is the normal Assault Squad. Cheap, quick and efficient. I typically run them with a Chaplain + jump pack for the Fearless + Rerolls to hit. Though I do love the tougher/harder hitting alternative that you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like having 1 devastator squad with 4 rockets. I love the dual purpose thing...good anti-tank combined with the possibility of blast templates bouncing all over the place.

    In my guard army it is definately a heavy weapons squad with 3 autocannons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I've ever fielded my marines without a Land Raider Crusader, I pretty much build my army around it... the multi-melta will hit something one day and there will be even more rejoicing at it's versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fritz you do realize that the terminators can't assault out of a templar landraider. They aren't assault vehicles. Thats fine if your group has moved past it but its a truth that is there like priority tests, not being able to ride in another's transports and ICs always being independent in their retinues.

    I'll take Marine storm shields over templar lightning claws.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that some sort of fread will find its way into any marine build i do wether its BA, DA, Templars or vanilla marines. They are just too cool.

    ReplyDelete