After my final practice game and some very minor list tweaking, I am ready to play Saturday. I think my list is balanced enough to face whatever is thrown at me while hopefully being able to deliver my game plan to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and hear the lamentations of their women! But before that, hows about we look at what I think will show up on Saturday based on what I've played against, what I've read about online, and what I think are some of the stronger 'Ard Boyz type lists:
1. Skaven. I don't think I will necessarily be the only Skaven player at my location. There really isn't any preregistration, and I don't know how many will show up, but Skaven are one of the more powerful armies in the new edition. I suspect I will see another Grey Seer led army with at least one Abomination.
2. Lizardmen. This is more or less cheating because I assume Gargunki will show up, but the Lizardmen are a very powerful army in the new edition as well. Slaan with Lore of Life, buffing his entire army, protecting himself from miscasts, and casting The Dweller's Below!
3. High Elves with Teclis. Teclis is just filthy in 8th Edition, and I think there will be at least one played. Maybe 2 or more! Teclis backed by another level 2, and loads of elite troops with great weapons that have ASF.
3. Empire. Possibly the strongest in 8th Edition, with huge gun lines but also the ability to take good level 4 Lords with the BRB magic Lores. Also taking Priests to add dispel dice. I think I'll see a level 4 mage lord before a War Altar.
5. Dwarves. And we have our second gunline. Dwarves do it better, but I don't think their anti magic is as game controlling as some people believe. Sure, they have a lot. But there can possibly be so much magic flying they just will not be able to stand up to it. In return they will blast you off the table with bolt throwers, cannons, grudge throwers, organ guns, and flame cannons.
I think those are the major 5 armies that will be present and do well. I won't count out any of the other armies though. Orcs and Goblins as well as Chaos Warriors will probably show well. Demons are still very good and at high points levels and with special characters, I'm definitely fearing Kairos Fateweaver lining up across the table. Especially with his spiffy new model being released. Dark Elves are also very potent, with a million spell dice and lots of Hydras!