Monday, February 28, 2011

Footslogging Space Wolves in action.

I haven't played too much 40k lately, but my last 5 games or so over a few months have been focusing on footslogging with no transports. I have won or done at least decent in most of them so the idea for me is at least viable. Obviously lots of troops will do well in objective games, and no transports takes away kill points or even targets of all the anti tank weapons everyone puts in their lists. This is what I ran on Saturday vs Dark Eldar. Obviously my firepower is in the form of Long Fangs, but the Grey Hunters do very well for themselves with lots of wound allocation potential and being good (enough) in close combat.







2000 points

1 Rune Priest, chooser of the slain, living lightning, tempest's wrath

9 Wolf Guard, 6 with fists, 2 with combi plasmas, 1 with a cyclone

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, flamer, mark of wulfen, wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, flamer, mark of wulfen, wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, flamer, mark of wulfen, wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, plasmagun, wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, plasmagun, wolf standard

10 Grey Hunters, power weapon, meltagun, plasmagun, wolf standard

6 Long Fangs, 5 missile launchers

6 Long Fangs, 5 missile launchers

6 Long Fangs, 5 missile launchers


Each GH squad gets a powerfist Wolf Guard, 2 LF squads get a combi plasma, and one gets a Cyclone. I spread out, moved on objectives, won combat where necessary in large part to the Wolf Standards I include in EVERY list I make, and relied on my Long Fangs to do the heavy lifting.


 For my Spearhead setup I held 2 units of GH's in reserve.

Thoughts? It did well against the DEldar, but I also had the first turn and knocked out 2 heavy Raiders and 1 transport in the first round. The GH's did their job and smothered the objectives and held off the pointy ears. We called it only at turn three with much DEldar carnage and Wolves holding 3 of 3 objectives.

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    I like your list, I want to build a Foot slogging list to!
    Got some tips and tactics for me!? quantity or quality on units or both?

    Please tell me how this list works for you!
    How do you deal with IG and leman russ tanks and stuff?

    your sincerely
    Dylan.575@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete